The North Dakota Health Information Network is the platform used as North Dakota’s statewide health information exchange (HIE). This service provides appropriate access to a patient’s consolidated health record at the point of care via the Clinical Portal or Single Sign On from a facility's electronic health record (EHR). The health record includes allergies, medications, labs, radiology, and other transcribed documents.
Single Sign-On (SSO)
A seamless access can be established to NDHIN through EHR integration/Single Sign-On (SSO) eliminating the need to sign into a separate tool.
Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACs)
NDHIN provides access to the picture archiving and communication system (PACs) images from participating providers providing relevant radiology information.
NDHIN’s connection to the eHealth Exchange allows the Network of Networks connected to federal agencies and non-federal healthcare organizations to exchange medical data nationwide to improve patient care and public health. Training link: /node/2219
Patient Centered Data Home
NDHIN’s connection to the Patient Centered Data Home provides query access to a regional and national network of HIEs
Direct Secure Messaging (DSM)-Communicate
Doctors can send structured and unstructured information and medical files such as lab reports, consults, results and more to other doctors through this secure email system. It’s also beneficial to patients and doctors who don’t have information exchange services readily available. It is a safe way of sharing protected health information to trusted recipients, while maintaining privacy and confidentiality.
Alerts & Notifications
NDHIN allows a user to define Encounter Alerts and Notifications based on data submitted to NDHIN for significant patient events such as ED visits, hospital admits/discharges and abnormal lab results.
NDHIN provides the ability to run reports for organizational utilization of the clinical portal to better understand workflow and individual user needs.
Electronic Public Health Reporting
NDHIN assists over 40 hospitals and approximately 49 clinics with required reporting to the ND Department of Health allowing for successful participation in federal interoperability and quality programs.
The types of data routing include:
- Bidirectional connectivity to the ND Immunization Registry (NDIIS) and collection of vaccination data about all North Dakotans viewable to users in the clinical portal displaying both an immunization record as well as a forecast.
- NDHIN assists in monitoring Syndromic Surveillance from ADT (Admission, Discharge, Transfer) feeds and routes to the ND Department of Health and to CDC for outbreak monitoring.
- NDHIN routes lab data for Reportable Diseases to the ND Department of Health, manages test orders coming into the state laboratory and results going back out to the ordering facility via an HL7 interface with the ability to import the information into an EHR.
- NDHIN abstracts data from EHRs and routes it to the ND Autism Registry eliminating the need for a manual secondary entry of information.
- NDHIN allows a user to query from within the portal to the Provider Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP) without having to go through another application.